Monday, August 4, 2008

Perplexed Memory



My opponent speaks :
" My Lord , My witness here has seen
Experienced the grief
The accused has no reason to plead
He has cold bloodedly murdered
The inner voice indeed !
"I defend my voice with vigor and scream
"Objection your honor !!
My opponent is misleading the jury !

Then calling my witness , I speak:
"What were you doing that abominable night ?
"My witness -The conscience speaks :
"I-I woudn't know , i was asleep
"Then my opponent ventures into my witness's weak
"You have no memory ?
No recollection ?
Of the helpless girl lying there ,
injured to bleed?
"No-no sir ,I woudn't say that ,
I certainly heard her cry for help ,
But my courage stood back
As i fought with myself

"So you heard her scream ?
And you let her be ?
Lying there helplessly ?
"My witness's frame now withering
Reduced to tears , he began to speak
" I-I would've helped
I would've saved the dying human being
But the numbness had seeped
into every bit of me
The time was ticking away
Like a time bomb at bay
In my confused state
My heart beats raced
"Then slowly he looks up and says :
" I blame myself ,I was her only help
Now the burden I shall partake "

Seeing my witness -The conscience wither and speak
I restlessly sit hoping to end the ordeal
Then a tear drips ,
without a blink
I seem to predict ,
what my opponent is here to speak
He smirks at me and meticulously speaks
" There , My Lord ,
The witness spilled out
the soul guilt the Jury seeks
The accused had definitely murdered his inner voice indeed
"Then the jury speaks :
" It is evident that the defendant's conscientiousness
has accepted the guilt
No punishment here,
As he is forgived
Acceptance is the biggest gift "

The sprawling walls of the court I see
Swirl around and hurriedly flee
I wake up from my unconscientious self
And dwell into thoughts of what befell
It seemed , forgiving myself was the hardest task ,
"These fights with my conscience will forever last "
fatema

16 comments:

... said...

"These fights with my conscience will forever last "

utterly, butterly delicious!

:)

fatema rangwalla said...

lol thanx :)

Unknown said...

uh-mazin..derz always this intense passion in ur poems and i just love the victorian english u use in between(forgived).

fatema rangwalla said...

thanx :)

Unknown said...

lol.. this one is for the hippocrites... i.e for all of us. we just dont wanna know it.how forgiving does a person need to be to make life hell for the man lookin back in the mirror.

fatema rangwalla said...

hmm ya u can say that :\

Anonymous said...

fatty.

Anonymous said...

well...it's long...

D'Anachronys said...

You were almost right. I almost loved it. :)

Sunil said...

Conscience is one's Censor.

The Still Small Voice,programmed in the heart to decide on righteousness and unrighteousness.

The Dilemma and Struggle depicted well.

and I commented though belated.. but as Promises are to be met :).

..So now where is ur short story?did you write any?

sourav said...

wow..you seem to have studied law or what?

really nice poem and it rhymes as well...you can be a great poet in future.

fatema rangwalla said...

thanx all of u ...and no i havent studied law ..just read a book with a court scene.. got inspired

aniket said...

that was a very creatively expressed poem.when are u writing ur book now.

fatema rangwalla said...

i hope it comes soon .. a friend of mie is telling me to write one .. form a long time

Vinay Rathod said...

the world seems so pure when and simple when the courtroom is filled only with parts of ur own self... for i wonder sometimes, is it me who is wrong or is it world that is wrong in me...

Viggs said...

amazing concept... envy you to hv captured it so well..!!
will read your other works too..
m currently lookin for some inspiration to start penning again...